søndag 11. oktober 2009

Stress? Ma fi (there is none)

Last week, we were in Tokar, a small village three hours from Port Sudan. We attended a meeting the same night we got there: the volunteers were planning a ceremony two days later. I suddenly realized that this was the first meeting they held about this specific event. Had I been in the volunteers’ place, I would have been stressed out of my mind knowing that the stage wasn’t set, the food wasn’t bought (there wasn’t even a food group yet!), the posters and banners weren’t ready. But the 15 or so people sat together, calmly discussing what had to be done and who was to be in which group. On Monday, we witnessed a great ceremony, with three singers, dancers and even the mayor of Tokar was present. And not to mention all the people!


The past days, I have seen the same happening in Port Sudan. People get together at a school; the day before they phone each other up agreeing on who should bring what, and voilà: One hour at the school is all they need to prepare drinks, snacks, seats and a small stage. I am impressed.


I realize that it might be hard to bring this laidback approach back to Norway (which mayor could attend a ceremony on a one day notice?), but as long as I’m here, I have to let organizer-Anniken go.



Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar